> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ledger board for big arbor.....
Login | Register

Ledger board for big arbor.....

Posted by Steve: on May 9th, 2001 04:10 PM

Most, lets say 95% of my arbors are free standing off or over the existing deck to be constructed. So, all you have are the four posts coming up from the foundation of the deck and then do your upper attaching. But:

Last week I was soloing on a job and had to install a 2 x 12 cedar ledger 10 feet up over a huge picture window and the ledger is 18 feet long.

Now, my plan was to install red head's every two feet into the brick to attache the ledger then hang joist hangers for the joists.

I realized real quick that I needed to call in an assistant off another job so that this ledger could be hung.

My problem was in placing the ledger temp in the area to be secured to. I could not manage the ledger and could not find a non damaging way to secure the ledger for drilling and not to damage the wall. I had a Rem 22 and thought of nailing a ledger board to hold the ledger but many times removing the Rem 22 will damage the brick or mortar.

We ended up cutting some 2x4's and angling them to the ledger and knotching the 2x4's to work for us. Then we drilled through the wood with a wood bit until we were carefully through the wood. Then we switched bits and went to concrete. Then we just marred the brick to we would know where to drill with the ledger off.

This one project took almost all day. I planned to finish the project in a day and half.

Iwould appreciate any suggestions or alternate methods anyone else has used in this situation.

Many thanks.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC