> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Leaky wall or attic vent
Login | Register

Leaky wall or attic vent

Posted by Bruce in Plano TX on March 19th, 2002 10:36 PM

Our one-story house is made of brick. In the attic at the top of a peak is a vent, it is decorative but does go through the wall. Whenever there is rain blowing from the north water leaks in, either around the vent, or maybe even through the brick, I'm not sure. Hard to tell exactly where it comes from, but the inside of the brick wall, below and around the vent, gets wet. I've tried calking around the vent on the outside, but no dice. Making matters worse, this wall is above the living room, "pushed in" about 1.5 feet; the water is guided by a piece of a lower peak into another wall, and there is really no way to prevent it from flowing down; wall and ceiling are both being damaged. This has been going on since the house was built four years ago. Builder tried to fix it by replacing flashing, obviously didn't work....builder warantee is now long expired. I'm going to caulk again, but I don't have much confidence in that. What is the likelihood that the proximity to the vent is just a coincidence, and that the wall itself just leaks? How porous is brick? Is it possible that the wall needs to be sealed from the outside? There are weep holes in the bottom row of bricks, down by the ground...this wall in the attic is offset from the lower wall, so water doesnt reach those holes...should there have been some sort of a channel for seapage to continue down to the weep holes? Finally, since I'm running out of ideas, who would be the right kind of pro to call for this? Thanks!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC