> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Leaky Shower
Login | Register

Leaky Shower

Posted by BobB on May 16th, 2001 08:33 AM
In reply to leaking shower/tub combo by Sandy on May 15th, 2001 09:29 PM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

Sandy, I had a similar problem years ago when we first moved into this house. The walls were covered with ceramic tile, and a previous owner had layered grout over grout in some places, either to stop a leak or for cosmetic reasons. At any rate the grout did not make a good seal with the tile, and water would leak into the wall. The solution for me that time was to carefully scrape all of the grout from between the tiles and reapply to the proper thickness. 25 years ago we used a modified table knofe to scrape the grout, however recently I have seen a small grout saw at a home improvement center.
If this is a shower stall, another suspect would be the gasket/seal at the base of the door. These can accumulate crud, and just become brittle. If water leaks under the door, it will flow along the ledge next to the glass wall of the shower and into the wall/floor area.
Just a couple of ideas, based on lessons learned throught the school of hard knocks, and I hope they help.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC