> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Leaky Faucet
Login | Register

Leaky Faucet

Posted by BobB on June 19th, 2001 08:33 AM
In reply to leaking shower faucet into basement? by Gina Howell on June 18th, 2001 09:33 PM [Go to top of thread]

The answer to your first question is yes, it could be leaking behind the drywall at the same time it is leaking into the tub. It is possible that a valve body or nipple is cracked and will need to replaced, and then you will be into the ripping out the drywall thing. However , my intuition tells me that if that were the case, it would probably be leaking all of the time, not just when you take a shower. There are so many different varieties of faucets and valves, here is how I would approach the problem. Totally shut off the water at the nearest shut off valve ahead of the ones you are going to take apart. Remove both of the handles from the valves and unscrew the valve core. Clean and inspect the the part of the valve core that is inside the wall and look for any sign of trouble. ( cracks, etc. ) Then take all of the parts that you removed to the nearest professional plumbers supply store, and ask them to sell you all of the washers, gaskets, packing , etc.. that you need to rebuild the faucets. Sometimes you can get by with just replacing a washer, or just repacking but when I have something like this taken apart, I prefer to fix it completely, once and for all. Incidentally, since you have the water shut off, it makes sense to me to do both the hot and the cold at the same time. Hopefully when you put it back together, you will find all of your leaks, inside, and outside the wall are gone.
Good Luck !

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC