> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > leaking skylight - new construction
Login | Register

leaking skylight - new construction

Posted by Ava Aubertin on October 12th, 2002 01:22 PM

My son just put an addition onto our very small home, a bedroom. He built a raised "base" for my bed which will go directly under the skylight he installed. It is a Velux #306 and it's beautiful, but leaks. Before continuing with his project, this issue needs to be resolved so we are in somewhat of a rush for an answer. With each rain, more and more water comes in. He did not buy the installation kit as it cost more than the skylight ! You see, he put a metal roof on the addition, vs shingles. Metal roofing is "the thing" to use here in the northeast due to the heavy snowloads so it just slides off the roof, whereas snow just sits on shingles. Anyway, he has invested over $100 in roofing tape, metal flashing, the best caulking, etc and with each rain, he goes out and purchases something new to "fix it", which it never does. He is getting disgusted so I phoned a reputable roofer who looked at it and gave my son the advice to build a cricket (or, the roofer was going to build it himself at a cost of $300). The cricket has not done the job, it still leaks. PLEASE, help....

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC