> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Leaking/Flooding Basement
Login | Register

Leaking/Flooding Basement

Posted by Sharon on October 13th, 2002 09:15 AM

My home is a duplex.

Within the past 8 months, the floor of the bedroom in my basement has flooded twice. FLOOR ONLY!! This is a guest bedroom with bath and is not used regularly. On both occasions, I discovered the "flooding" upon walking into the bedroom and water squishing up (sopping wet) around my feet; knee or even hand pressure resulted in same "soppy mess".

The first time, an extraction company vacuumed water, removed padding, fan-dried floor, sprayed mold preventatives, relayed padding and carpeting.

The second time, discovered early and entire floor was not "soppy wet".

Plumber has inspected all plumbing (to point of cutting out drywall during inspection to better view pipes) and can find no problems in my plumbing. Actually, all of the home's plumbing is on the other end of the house.

This bedroom is on the adjoining wall of the duplex. My neighors have their washer/dryer and jacuzzi against this wall at a slighly higher level than my basement bedroom. The suggestion was made that the water must be coming from the neighbors plumbing. However, the walls are not wet only the floor is flooding. If I understand hydrostatic pressure correctly, it is possible that it would take a while for the level of the water to build to adequate depth in the adjoining concrete block firewall before it would begin leaking/flooding into my bedroom at the wall/floor joining. Also, that the wall would not necessarily become wet.

My neighbor is finally beginning to check his plumbing, but has found no water leakage to date. He has not called in a plumber, but rather is checking himself. He ran the jacuzzi, with no resultant flooding in my bedroom, but I would think this would only occur over a period of time as the water would need to build up in wall before flooding.

The neighbor has assured me he will continue checking, yet he has not indicated that he will call in a plumber.

Do you have other suggestions/ideas as to what could be causing the flooding. The lay of our land is not indicative of ground water problems; as well, we have had very little rain/snow over the past few years; in fact, water conservation measures have been initiated in the surrounding area.

Note - basement is walkout, with poured concrete floor. Bedroom/bath is only area presently finished. Padding/carpet were layed directly on concrete.

This second time, I have not yet replaced the flooring and returned the furniture to the bedroom. I MUST discover the problem first.

HELP SOON - PLEASE!!!! This is truly becoming a nightmare and an expensive one.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC