> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > leak!!!
Login | Register

Posted by jb on February 20th, 2001 02:44 PM
In reply to Sounds like a water leak to me.. by Steve: on February 18th, 2001 05:12 PM [Go to top of thread]

I bet that they didn't put the tyvek OVER the top flashing of the door or front entry roof and that you have an intermittent siding leak. The brown stain means that it is frequent enough to already be leaching out the color from the wood and is probably already rotting a little. The doorbell shorted out b/c of water. It is likely that eventually the plaster will fall away and that the entire area will continue to rot away. If your house is under 1 year old I would raise a holy stink and put it in writing with a registered letter. The builder is obligated to fix this and not do a "cob job" like he did with the spray paint. It is not fixed until you are satisfied and I wouldn't be satisfied with a new house that is already starting to rot. 5 years from now this will be a huge mess. Do you have any photos of the exterior of this side of the house before the siding went on? It will be hard for you to be able to convince the contractor that he might have to start ripping the siding off to fix the leak. He will not want to do this. If you have photos that look like the "wrong" photos in the link below it could help you. Flashing details are either 100% right or 100% wrong. They either leak or they don't. I can't be 100% sure of this since I am not there but brown means leak and rot. See:

House Wrap flashing problems:

synthetic stucco:

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC