> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > lead paint removal
Login | Register

lead paint removal

Posted by judy on April 28th, 1999 06:24 PM
In reply to lead paint removal by Dori on April 28th, 1999 06:02 PM [Go to top of thread]

It's good that you are using caution because lead can be a real hazard especially to children under four whose central nervous system is still developing (these kids also include unborn as lead can cross the placenta.) The EPA recommends that children under four years old not be living in the house if lead paint removal is going to take place. Lead paint is much less a hazard for adults. One thing to never, never do is to use a heat gun on lead paint. It will volatilize the lead and allow it to be absorbed into the blood stream through the alveoli in the lungs. If you're sanding or scraping, and dust or particles you may breathe usually end up being swallowed and less of the lead will actually be taken up by your body. Use a proper respirator that you can get from a home center for $30-$40. Most of them have 1-800 numbers you can call to make sure they protect you from lead. As far as removing it, scraping and manually sanding are the safest ways. Avoid anything that creates a lot of dust. Have you thought of just dry walling over the old walls? Before any removal, place disposable drop cloths for the dust and chips to fall into and throw them away. When the room is done, wash down all surfaces with TriSodium Phosphate (which you can get at a home center). That will bind to the lead dust and highly reduce the lead load in the room. I could go on and on-I used to consult parents of lead poisoned children so if you have specific questions, you can e-mail me at luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC