First off, are you sure you had lead paint? There are simple kits to test this.
If so, I would be concerned but not in a panic. Lead is dangerous, but it depends on the amount you are exposed too.
While I am not an expert, I would at think that common sense would indicate good old fashioned elbow grease (like lots of cleaning). Use water based products to avoid further dust. Change the vacuum cleaner bag, etc. Key is to avoid any airborn particles.
I would caution against calling any governement agency, they may actually condem your house or order you to have very expensive work done.
You may wish to have your wife tested for lead given her condition just to be safe. You could also have a test done for yourself.