> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Lead Paint
Login | Register

Lead Paint

Posted by Karen on May 8th, 2001 08:22 AM
In reply to Paint stripper by Henry in MI on May 7th, 2001 04:42 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

The house was built in @ 1947. The lead paint is obviously several layers down. All of the wall paint is in good condition, and I will merely spackle some nail holes and paint over. The problem is that some of the windows have chipping (better description than flaking) paint along the surfaces that rub during operation. Some of the windows are also painted shut and I will want to get them operational. I have performed a lead test in the chipping areas and lead paint is present. Obviously the ideal would be to hire a professional to do this job, but finances dictate otherwise. I will be able to follow the HUD guidelines for lead paint removal (other than having it professionally done) with sealing off area, cleanliness, dust control etc., etc. The house does not need to be occupied until late July.

Since I will need to remove some paint on the windows, and they are really kind of rough and bumpy, I would like to take it all off. The soygel sounds like the safest product to use if it works as advertised. I am hoping to hear from people who have had personal experience with it. How well did it remove layers, will a repeat application remove all, or is there likely to be any sanding necessary? Obviously I would like to avoid sanding, even though I understand that wet sanding would be possible.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC