> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Lead based paint
Login | Register

Lead based paint

Posted by JackD on January 17th, 2001 02:00 PM
In reply to Lead paint removal from metal surface by Denise on January 17th, 2001 12:07 AM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 2 people found this post helpful

Denise, how old are you? I only ask that because I grew up with lead based paint. Painted with it all the time, had it all over me. I've probably still got clothes that have lead based paint on them. I know what the EPA says and they may be right but if they are, then there shouldn't be anyone over 55 alive today or at least without serious health problems. This is personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth but I think they are overly cautious and needlessly scaring us to death. One school shut down and called the Hazmat team out because a vial of mercury about the size of your little finger nail got broke. In my younger days (pre EPA), we would have scooped it up and played with it. And we did. Sorry, back to your question. I, and I stress the I, would put on a painters mask and take the paint off with paint removers. I'd use gloves because of the paint removers (for oil based enamel), not because of the lead based paint. I wouldn't ingest any and would wash up before eating. Again, that's me and may not be for you. Hope this helps and stay healthy.


Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC