> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Lead
Login | Register

Posted by Chris on April 22nd, 1998 11:05 AM
In reply to lead paint abatement by Susan Lee on April 18th, 1998 06:51 PM [Go to top of thread]

My wife and I also bought an old house (circa 1812) about 3 years ago. Our first son was born later that year. I had done extensive renovations in the house during that first year. We were shocked to find our son had an extremely elevated lead count at his 1 year checkup. The State got involved and begain harrassing us about replacing all our windows and doors. Doing this would have destroyed the value of the house we love. We ended up having the windows and doors removed and striped off-site (doors $150, windows $60 per sash). We were fortunate that the lead paint is only in the wood trim and not the walls or ceilings. We continue to struggle every day with the need to do repairs/renovations and the health risks to our family. Once a week we clean the floors with a solution of TSP and I no longer do any work without sealing off the job site and throughly cleaning everything. I'm happy to report that my first son's lead level has dropped to just above the State's definition of "normal". He is, by the way, an extremely bright, intelligent and healthy 3 year old. We are expecting our second next month and I have my fingers crossed. All I can tell you is that you should give serious consideration to the presensce of lead depending on what you plan to do with your home. I wish you luck with whatever you decide.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC