renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Laying hardwood floors
Login | Register

Laying hardwood floors

Posted by Paul in TN on October 3rd, 1998 10:09 AM
In reply to How to lay hardwood flooring by John on October 1st, 1998 12:36 AM [Go to top of thread]

You will find at flooring stores a wide array of choices in flooring. The one that seems the best to me is the floated floor. Contact Harris-Tarkett@aol.com for information. This floor can go down over anything. An engineered floor required a subfloor of plywood, so if you hve pressed wood or composition floor, you do have a little more work. A glue-down and nail down also require a plywood floor, which you can put down yourself. A floating floor is the easiest and it can go down rather quickly. The finished product is hard to gell from a solid wood floor that goes down unfinished and you must put the finish on yourself. Watch out for pre-finished flooring and the warranties. I found several different time periods which correspond to the number of layers of polyurethane. 5 year warranty has fewer coats of finish than 10 year, for example. All of the material I have does indicate that the upkeep can be as much as a monthly process to keep the floors looking like new. But wood is permanent and beautiful. Good luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC