> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Laying hardwood floors
Login | Register

Laying hardwood floors

Posted by Paul in TN on October 3rd, 1998 10:09 AM
In reply to How to lay hardwood flooring by John on October 1st, 1998 12:36 AM [Go to top of thread]

You will find at flooring stores a wide array of choices in flooring. The one that seems the best to me is the floated floor. Contact for information. This floor can go down over anything. An engineered floor required a subfloor of plywood, so if you hve pressed wood or composition floor, you do have a little more work. A glue-down and nail down also require a plywood floor, which you can put down yourself. A floating floor is the easiest and it can go down rather quickly. The finished product is hard to gell from a solid wood floor that goes down unfinished and you must put the finish on yourself. Watch out for pre-finished flooring and the warranties. I found several different time periods which correspond to the number of layers of polyurethane. 5 year warranty has fewer coats of finish than 10 year, for example. All of the material I have does indicate that the upkeep can be as much as a monthly process to keep the floors looking like new. But wood is permanent and beautiful. Good luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC