> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Laying A Hardwood Floor ...
Login | Register

Laying A Hardwood Floor ...

Posted by Jay J on October 1st, 1998 08:01 AM
In reply to How to lay hardwood flooring by John on October 1st, 1998 12:36 AM [Go to top of thread]

True hardwood floors are usually installed by professionals and in new construction. I'm not trying to overly discourage you but it's a fact.

There are alternatives out there that have the look, feel, and wear of a true hardwood floor. Know that a hardwood floor can only be refinished down to the grooves / nails; NOT all the way down to the subfloor. It's not easy to get a professional finish w/o ideal conditions. This is where a pro comes in. Certainly, when you go to the retailer or a home center to look at true hardwood floors, they come with instructions. You should go and get a copy BEFORE you buy to see if you're up to it. You'll be a bit hard-pressed to find more than a couple of sites on the WEB that talk about this because today, floors in the category of engineered or laminate take up the bulk of the do-it-yourselfer market. (You can't refinish a laminate floor, BTW. These alternatives have their finishes applied in the factory under ideal conditions, up to 7+ layers too, which is something you can't do that well in the home.)

I don't have a WEB site that talks about installing a true hardwood floor. BUT, I do have a couple of sites that will educate you in a couple of respects. They are How To Install A Hardwood Floor and Floor Search. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: Re-finishing an existing hardwood floor is the type of job that's more suited to the competent do-it-yourselfer. But, this is not what you're doing. (Just a side-thought) :)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC