> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Laminate Flooring
Login | Register

Laminate Flooring

Posted by Julie on August 30th, 2001 12:00 PM
In reply to Hardwood vs laminate floors by Marko on March 4th, 2001 10:50 AM [Go to top of thread]

I grew up doing interior trim and basically working with wood all my life. My grandpa starting laying floors years ago, and the business just grew. It is a real family business. Thus I grew up very much anti anything that is not real wood.

However, I am now 33 and doing home remodeling projects of my own. My new husband and I remodeled our bathroom about three years ago and we put down a laminate flooring that he was sold on years ago. Against my better judgement we laid down Pergo. We laid the Pergo down after watching the video on how it is done. If you know someone that can cut the wood, then you have all you need to do it yourself. You see, if you rent the equipment, you can glue the pieces while the person helping you does the cutting.

Anyway, we laid the Pergo about the same time that a different family member laid a real hardwood floor in their kitchen and dining room. Yet at the same time a completely different family member laid a different type of laminate in their dining room. Well, a year later the other laminate was starting to buckle. Our Pergo, looked just like it did the day we installed it. The wood floor showed some scratching from the dogs. Today, even after the kids have walked repeatedily over the floor with rocks, have had to use cleaners to clean up drops of spilt paint, and have gotten out of the shower dripping water on the floor, the Pergo has held up. It still looks as good today as the day we put it in. We are now planning on remodeling our kitchen and in my best judgement we are going to use Pergo again.

I know some people have had problems with laminate installs not doing so well. If it is installed right then you will be fine. It is best to watch the tape a few times. However, if you get a handyman with a saw to cut the Pergo, it is an easy job and one that you will take more time to make sure it is right than an installer. Most of todays contractors do not take the pride that they used to.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC