> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Laminate flooring
Login | Register

Laminate flooring

Posted by Henry in MI on April 28th, 2001 01:03 PM
In reply to Laminate Floor on stairs by AzFred on April 28th, 2001 11:13 AM [Go to top of thread]

AzFred, we are in complete agreement about laminate in bathrooms, and I add kitchens to the other wet places category, but I can see how others would not. Where we disagree, I think, is on the state of the current beach house stairs. Yes, if you had enclosed stairs in the upper parts of the house, the laminate would be no problem. But the stairs in question seemed to be the stringer and tread, maybe with, and maybe without risers, that are typical of basement stairs made out of pine planks at the time of construction of a house. As I recall, 9" treads or so were mentioned. This kind of stairs typically gets a coat of paint about every 20 years and, when the paint is new, that's about as slippery as they get.

The fact that it's a beach house indicates proximity to water, whether ocean, lake or whatever. Eventually, from hurricane, flood, water level changes, you will get water in such a basement. The pine boards may not like it for a while but will dry out with minimal damage. Add the laminate, and there will be more damage. This probably could be repaired easily, but it's just another item on what would probably be a long list.

The aluminum oxide point, per se, does not have merit. Aluminum metal will have aluminum oxide on it and some grades can also have a fair amount of silicon oxide, both great abrasives. This metal can be both smooth and slippery because the grains are so fine. I have no doubt at all that laminate has sufficient traction for most flooring applications, but stairs are kind of a special case and the possibility of wet bare feet on the stairs at a beach house looms large.

AzFred, we may be disagreeing over nothing more than semantics and perception of the real situation, but I do think that this is something that should be considered. Disagreeing without being disagreeable, on a forum like this is good for everybody.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC