> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Laminate Bashing ...
Login | Register

Laminate Bashing ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on November 10th, 2001 09:19 AM
In reply to I'm with Chad by Jim on November 9th, 2001 09:23 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Jim,

I'm sorry, my friend, but I have to TOTALLY disagree w/you. For some reason, did we have this 'chat' before??? Anyways, here's my $.02 on your 'position' ...

You are biased. If there's anyone biased to Life Insurance, it's the Salesman. Why - He's not going to bash his livelyhood. Short, and simple. The 'experience' I and many others on this BBS, both 'regular Follow-uppers' as well as those folks happening through here, all talk from experience. I've put them in, and I've had my problems, and I've heard way too many complaints. Yes, as with you, there are a lot of satisfied folks out there with their laminate floors, but unfortunately, we're not hearing from them very often. One doesn't have to be a Professional Installer or one who installs laminate for a living to like or DISLIKE the product. All one has to have is something to back up their 'position'. With me, personally and I speak for myself, I'm passing on most of my info based on the experience of others, good and bad. The Poster has the FINAL decision as to whether or not they'll install or not install a particular product.

Now, he OVERWHELMING majority of complaints are due to the INSTALLATION; not the product itself. For example, they're installed in kitchens where there happens to be issues with a LOT of traffic in and out of that room. It's the room with the HIGHEST amount of foot traffic in the house. The floor with wear just fine but it will wear QUICKER than other flooring like ceramic and vinyl tile. Hence, in a relatively less time, it will need to be replaced. Now, who out there has no problem 'upsetting' the busiest room in the house every 5-10 years? Certainly, not me.

In addition, DoItYourselfers (DIYers) are doing the work. This particular BBS is not one that's frequented to a high degree w/Professionals w/questions. Overwhelmingly, it's DIYers that have the ?'s. (Pros are welcome because we can help 'each other', and when they do come by, we do just that. This is a 'general' Community; not an exclusive one.) If a DIYer reads the Warranty and the Installation Instructions, they may not think much of them UNTIL they have to file a claim. DIYers don't have the experience of folks like you and me where we can SHARE w/them our experience. They simply see certain $$$-signs and certain parts of the Instructions where they just have to glue. To them, who knows what it means to have a 'solid subfloor'? To them, who knows what it means that the floor shouldn't be installed in rooms w/moisture or water issues? Here, what it comes down to for me is: If it's too good to be true, the Buyer should BEWARE. Just because the install looks 'simple' and that you (or they) think the product can go in any room, AND that the #1 cause for 'problems' is the installation, then why in the world are the Mfgrs. touting a product for an 'average DIYer'??? It blows me away. The AVERAGE DIYer doesn't have repeated floor installation experiences. They don't have the benefit of working with MANY products. The AVERAGE DIYer doesn't even know that BBS, like this, EXIST where they can get background information. And unfortunately, the 'experiences' of DIYers on this BBS and in my own life, aren't that good. I don't hear as many 'good' experiences as I'd like. That's a fact too, and is not biased.

I think that you might want to just stick to your 'experiences' with laminate flooring and stay away from telling the DIYers how I, or even others, 'feel' about laminate flooring. (We can do that pretty well ourselves as you are well aware.) Your $.02 is always welcome, and DO realize, that the DIYers are the beneficiaries of your Salesmanship.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC