> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > laminant flooring or a wood look floatable floor is perfect
Login | Register

laminant flooring or a wood look floatable floor is perfect

Posted by chad petersen on November 9th, 2001 12:10 AM
In reply to Flooring for my kitchen by Angela on November 8th, 2001 10:47 PM [Go to top of thread]

Pergo(Switzerland) and Armstrong(Germany-mostly sold at Lowe's) are not the brands to go with. Wilsonart and/or Formica brand have the best water/wear&tare/fade warranties and as an installer for 6 years I can say they walk the talk. For your children worries, the floatable floor is perfect. I had just finished out a house in February where the previous portion of my customers house had a Wilsonart brand honey oak stle planks installed 5 years before I worked on 600 more sq feet of their home. I brought the previously installed living floor together with a new kitchen floor and you couldn't tell the difference. No scratches, no bleeding of color, and the joints were unnoticeable where they came together. And their home is filled with wall to wall windows. The catch is that they have two in house labs and one german shepperd that run to the front door when their owners get home, all sliding in unison while trying to apply their front-paw bracks. No scratches. The kitchen installation has a little more labor involved for water proofing, such as a water-resistant silicon that is applied around the exterior edges of the floor and extra glue put on top(for water over-flow protection). It keeps the water from going underneath the edges of the floor where your trim is. If you damage a plank or if one is defective, an experienced installer can easily replace it like one piece of ceramic tile could. But the greatest thing about the floor, is it is sooooo easy to clean, just a little acetone for the hard sticky material issues such as gum or glue. And what I enjoy telling my customers is that they will be putting more of their money into their product and less money into my pockets if they decided with laminant flooring over ceramic tile. Tile labor$3.50 a sq. foot and up, quality tile $1.49 in stock to $4.00 special ordered plus thinset mortar and grout. Floatable floors average $3.79 a foot unless your installer gives you his 10% to 20% discount connections, and the labor is only $2.00 a sq. foot and down. And if you happen to be in a dry to wet exteme area, cracking in a slab home can ruin every ceramic tile with the slightest of movement. With the floatable floor you won't go through that heart ack problem. Sorry to be so wordy but my wife and I are in that stage of floor decor; I can get best porcelian tile at discount or pay a $1.50 more a foot for laminant both with free labor :) , but I have two young daughters and one 60 lbs. lab... I know what they will do to grout lines of a tiled floor or to skimpy layer of linoleum. Wilsonart or Formica is the way to go.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC