> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Kitchen Remodel
Login | Register

Kitchen Remodel

Posted by Ratkity on April 3rd, 2002 03:04 PM
In reply to kitchen remodeling by Karen on March 28th, 2002 07:51 PM [Go to top of thread]

I remodeled my 1935 home's kitchen by myself... completely gutted the sucker ( I consider myself an experienced (yet, amateur) fix-it person/woman. The major negative about the remodel that was the inconvenience of living out of my dining room for several months after I moved into the house. As a single person, this wasn't so bad with the microwave accessible. Other negatives included finding asbestos tile under the stick on tiles, painted wallpaper, uneven floors, no studs in the outside walls (where all the cabinets went), moving the gas pipe lower for the stove, and fixing/removing the mysterious plumbing (copper flex) that went upstairs to a long since removed sink (yet, the plumbing was still there and leaking). Installing new breakers in a 1965 breaker box and GFI outlets near the sink was a piece of cake, despite not being able to shut off power (no mains). Another negative was having to take off work when the cabinets, stove, frig, and countertop arrived (all on different days). There are positives.. really!!!! It looks great now (I gotta get the last picts up) and it's functional (as opposed to what it was before). Consider the negatives carefully. My remodel was a labor of love and the positives way out-weighed the negs. Good luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC