> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Kitchen Cabinets
Login | Register

Kitchen Cabinets

Posted by Henry in MI on November 20th, 1999 03:54 PM
In reply to Painting KITCHEN Cabinets by Kathy ZOBEL on November 20th, 1999 11:49 AM [Go to top of thread]

3 of 5 people found this post helpful

Hi, Kathy. Before I answer your question, I would sure suggest that you reconsider paint. Other than some factory applied paints, paint generally is much more of a cleaning and maintenance problem that a stained and polyurethane finish. The chances of scuffs, nicks, scrapes and the like are much higher and will show up much more that a clear finish. With blonde oak, you can strip the clear finish and restain to a darker color about as easily as you can paint. One exception to this is with some conversion finishes that are very hard to strip and are found usually on relatively new and higher quality cabinets.

If you do decide to paint, start by taking everything out of your cabinets and taking off the doors and the door and drawer hardware (pulls, hinges and the like). Wash all the finished wood with tri-sodium phosphate (TSP), available at about every paint store and the "big boxes". Lightly sand all the wood you plan to paint with 150 grit sandpaper using a sanding block on the flat parts and a sheet of sandpaper cut into quarters and a quarter folded into thirds for the curved areas. You just want to scuff the old finish and take off any shine, not remove any wood so sand lightly. Now wash again with TSP and rinse well.

Now apply a coat of primer/sealer such as the ones made by Zinsser or Kilz. It will be a lot easier on you if you take the doors and drawers into your garage or basement if you have room there to spread out or have a work table available. But the best paint that you can get. I suggest that you go to a specialty paint store to buy your paint because the quality available there will be higher than what you can get at the mass merchandisers. For the amount of work that you will be doing, a few dollars spent on paint will lengthen considerably the time until you have to do it again. It is much better to spray paint but my guess is that you will have to brush paint. Buy the best brush for the kind of paint that you will be using too and the appropriate thinner. Paint (probably 2 coats with appropriate drying time)and reinstall the hardware. There are so may variations in hardware and placement that it is difficult to cover every contingency. Come back if you have specific questions about filling hardware holes and so on. If you decide to strip and restain, there is a lot of info here if you search for it.

Good luck
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC