> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Kitchen cabinet finish
Login | Register

Kitchen cabinet finish

Posted by Bruce M on January 4th, 1998 09:29 AM
In reply to Kitchen cabinet refinish material by Bruce B on January 3rd, 1998 07:15 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Bruce (nice name :-)

I may be somewhat uniformed and I hope I don't embarass myself here, but..........

In a work-a-day kitchen, polyurethane is the only practical finish. Except for period furniture and musical instruments, varnish is not used anymore, although I have to say that I have not heard of 'conversion vanrnish'. Polyurethane can be obtained in any sheen (matte to gloss), can be water or oil based and can be applied over any well prepared surface. It is scrubable, resistant to just about all ktichen liquids and can easily be touched up in the future.

Laquer is really for 'look-but-don't-touch" furniture; both brushing and spray laquers. Their surfaces are easily stained, they are hard and brittle and laquer is always soluable in its laquer base. Again, I'm not really familiar with Acrylic Laquer, except that I think that is the new laquer base for spraying custom cars.

Like I say, I hope I'm not out in left field here.....but please don't hesitate to tell me if you think I am.....I'm always interested in learning more :-)

Best wishes

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC