> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Kenmore Washer Odor
Login | Register

Kenmore Washer Odor

Posted by Sharon on June 15th, 2001 03:17 PM
In reply to Washer Odor by Chris Budicini on February 2nd, 2000 10:02 AM [Go to top of thread]

11 of 11 people found this post helpful

I think Cindy was being kind when she used the term "stale." I had the same problem. There is no lint filter in my washer. Their reasoning for this is that newer homes have larger drains.
The reason for the smell is not the lint trap. Under the metal exterior, there is a plastic tub that the water fills into from the metal or porcelain inner tub that you put your wash in.
My plastic tub was covered in filth - it smelled like sewage. The repairman scrubbed it off with an abrasive sponge. (It needed a little more than that.) I'd recommend some type of cleaner.
They also suggested running white vinegar through it now and then in a full tub of water - 1 full bottle of white vinegar. Seems to have worked for now. I believe some of the problem is from
using liquid fabric softner, which is very oily and makes the 'splash' stick to the plastic. After it sits for a long time, as I said, it smells like stagnant water or sewage. Hope this helps.
Does anyone know if this is just Kenmore? Do other manufacturers use plastic outer tubs? Could the plastic be the culprit encouraging the stuff to stick? I'd like to know.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC