renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Kenmore range F31
Login | Register

Kenmore range F31

Posted by DanO Moderator on January 5th, 2009 01:36 PM
In reply to Incomplete info on Kenmore model 790xxx by svflorance on January 5th, 2009 09:30 AM [Go to top of thread]

Moderator Post (s) for this thread:
> Incomplete information by DanO on 01/04/2009

** The full model number is: 790.96613409. I made a assumption that one smooth top model 790 was like another.

No, just made by the same manufacturer. Every manufacturer makes numerous designs of appliances, comprised of varying components.

** I "think" the read out was: "F31 Err". **

An F31 error code on your model indicates a problem in the oven temperature sensor circuit (see the following link). That could be caused by just a failed oven sensor itself but could also be from a problem in the wiring to it or in the sensing circuit of the electronic control.

- How do I check an oven temperature sensor?
LINK > www.appliance411.com/faq/replace-oven-sensor.shtml

** on several occasions it would trigger when we tried to set a Bake function, and would trigger right when we pressed the Bake button itself, and before any associated Temp was selected. **

Such a condition might give you an opportunity to test the sensor itself to see if it might be the cause as described at the link above. Otherwise it is going to be more difficult to pinpoint the cause with any certainty.

- Kenmore 790.96613409 Oven Temp. Sensor
LINK > www.appliance411.com/data.php?rcpn=316217001

** At this point, we throw the breaker when we're not using it, and then turn it back on, set the clock and use it when we needed... not a good thing I admit. **

No because if the control is unable to properly detect oven temperature a runaway heating condition could result. That could be a fire hazard.

** One incidental issue that might be relevant; we live in an area in Indianapolis that's given to periodic current "blips" in the power grid... either surges or sudden off/on outages. **

They could affect the electronic control of the range as well. You might want to consider looking into a whole house surge suppressor if you experience such things on a regular basis.

JMO

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com/parts/?ref411=Kenmore+Range
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2014 Renovate Your World LLC