> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Just Think About The Plan ...
Login | Register

Just Think About The Plan ...

Posted by Jay J on August 24th, 1999 03:31 PM
In reply to Who is right? by John R. Delaney on August 24th, 1999 03:05 PM [Go to top of thread]

W/O being able to see what's specifically being done and recommended, here's what I think.

First, if there's any downhill (or negative slope) going right up to your foundation, it's a no-no. Even if there's a french drain set at the base of the foundation because the water can do damage BEFORE it gets to the drain. It's called Hydrostatic Pressure. My personal recommendation is at least 3" of positive slope AWAY from the foundation for a distance of 3 feet. And that's a minimum. At the SAME time, assuming you have the minimum, and then upslope, you need to get rid of the water that's in your swale. Here's where you can have a french drain installed to get the water around to at least one side of the house or 2 (or even the front) to 'dump' somewhere else on the lot, or to the street.

Bottom line, you need negative slope all around the home, and whatever water you can trap, you need to be able to get rid of. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: (One contractor said it himself ... 'Adequate' - Is this OK w/you? Or would you like to get it in writing? If he's so sure, get him to warrant it for 10 years.)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC