> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Just some thoughts...
Login | Register

Just some thoughts...

Posted by Wick on May 19th, 2001 07:00 PM
In reply to Yet another deck question. by TracyO on May 19th, 2001 03:11 PM [Go to top of thread]

I Tracy, Steve: is a full time deck builder so he's probably more adept at the in's and out's than I am.
I've been working with a deck builder for roughly a year (hard work for a guy that's really a programmer),
but for what it's worth here's a breakdown on how I understand things based on where you stated you're at
(laying decking boards -the part that we stand on-).

Once "we" get to the point of laying the decking, all of the rim and joists have been put into place, and
the deck frame has been squared and secured with a brace (to keep the deck from moving side to side) and
the posts (and/or beams) put into place. We then nail/screw every decking board off (excluding the outer rims).
Once ALL the decking is down, we chalk a line along the outer rims, cut the decking, and adjust the rims as
needed to insure a straight rim as they are nailed/screwed. Once the outer rims have been nailed/screwed
the brace can be removed and there shouldn't be any wobble, in case there is we apply a diagonal 2x6 attached
to "each" joist's underneath to eliminate the wobble (this is rare though).

Like I said, Steve: has done this a whole lot longer than I, and as I'm sure he will validate, codes vary from
city to city, etc. But the bottom line is eliminating your wobble! If Steve: and I haven't answered your
question, post back up with more specifics (I.E., posts in each corner, post and beam, etc.).

Good luck,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC