> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Just finished this very thing for a customer
Login | Register

Just finished this very thing for a customer

Posted by Moderator, Steve on July 10th, 2002 05:21 PM
In reply to painting exterior brick by Julie on July 10th, 2002 01:41 PM [Go to top of thread]

I seem to be doing this service quite frequently these days.

anyway, I always make sure the homeowner is Sure beyond a reasonable doubt that this is what they want to do. I mention that this is permanent and have you considered your re sale and street appeal when painted?

Then when its ok, I then suggest to power wash the brick if its dirty or moldy. Then I suggest that all vegatation is trimed back 2 feet so I can manuever behind the bushes. Then we slightly suggest trim colors and product selection.

Then, after power washing and a complete drying time, I then spray on a primer. But if you use Sherwin William's as I do on every job, their A-100 paint is for this very purpose and contains a primer in the product.

Then I will spray the house at least three coats. The first one is for filling in mortar and all, then the second two are finally adding to each other.

I forgot, before you paint, take a caulk gun and fill in all cracks, holes, and divots. Another hint, I always ask the owners to pull back the dirt around the foundation so I can spray down in the soil then they can rake it back. This is only were gardens or beds are located.

This is about it. Its not a very difficult deal, but spraying is a MUST. The first time will take three coats or more, then from then on just one coat will work as maintenance.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Drainage by Darrell  7/12/02 12:48 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC