> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Just A Thought ...
Login | Register

Just A Thought ...

Posted by Jay J on July 21st, 1998 08:38 AM
In reply to Knocking down wall to expand living room by Becky B on July 21st, 1998 03:41 AM [Go to top of thread]

One thing I want to say before you knock any walls down is to think about the resale-ability of the home if you no longer have a garage. I'm not trying to cramp your style but it could affect the resale. If other neighbors have done what you want to do, how long were their homes on the market? And for the homes that were sold where the garage was left IN TACT, how long did it take for them to sell? You might want to ask the folks who recently bought homes in your neighborhood WITH the garage in tact if they considered the homes w/o the garage in tact. There's no need to reply; they're just something to think about.

In any event, if the wall is a load-bearing wall, the contractor will put a header in for you to be sure the weight is properly distributed. There are code issues here and he/she'll go over them when you tell them you want a 14' opening into the garage. :) Chances are it's a load-bearing wall.

Best to ya and either way, I hope it works out for you.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC