> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > JJs thoughts are good. Also...
Login | Register

JJs thoughts are good. Also...

Posted by Ron on October 7th, 1999 09:22 AM
In reply to Question about clearing land by Jennifer on October 7th, 1999 02:27 AM [Go to top of thread]

You DO want to build on solid bedrock so that settling is minimal. I build in-ground pools for several years. Sometimes, there was granite that the backhoe could not dig through (broke all the teeth off the shovel). Thoes pools went in. We had a crew jackhammer through the rock by hand. It wasn't easy, it was hard work, but where there's a will there's a way.
Now, if you want to do lots of grading to level off a hillside and there is bedrock in the way, that could be another story. Dynamiting could get expensive.

I agree with Jay J that if you have the land, and a basement cannot be dug, simply build out above the ground more.

I would question more the utilities? Are you going to have to drill through the rock for water? How about for septic? You didn't indicate any available utilities. I would see if the area "perks" for septic (that is a test they do in some states), and research the availability of water. I would do these things well in advance of building. They can affect where and how you build.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC