> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Jim,
Login | Register


Posted by deecee on March 10th, 2003 04:26 PM
In reply to Rotted Sill Plate by WhiskeyJim on March 10th, 2003 07:38 AM [Go to top of thread]

since you have the benefit of seeing really what the damage looks like and since you have some experience to be able to call yourself "handy", you are probably the best judge of what you need to do. Just keep in mind in framing that verticle constituents support and horizontal constituents restrict motion. You can bolt in reinforcing members and increase the mechanical strength of existing one. A fairly cheap, effective method of improving horizontal constituents of damaged framing is to use floor patch and galvanized mesh (with lots of stapling) to repair as you would fiberglass. If you decide a verticle support element such a stud needs help, you would stub or bolt additional wood it. If in a wall where you might see this happen again, use redwood. Just some thoughts. Luck, Kizmet

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC