> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Jeff's question about insulating studs in basement
Login | Register

Jeff's question about insulating studs in basement

Posted by Andy on February 11th, 2003 01:13 PM
In reply to insulating basement walls inside by jeff on February 4th, 2003 09:12 PM [Go to top of thread]

Jeff - for the best basement you can get...

Consider covering the entire slab with epoxy (the real stuff from Norm @ to block moisture penetration before you start.

1. Use Lexel adhesive to attach the base to the floor.
2. Epoxy the seam where the base meets the slab facing out to the concrete. This will stop any possible future water penetration. I cover the entire base in epoxy for my own construction (I use pressure treated 4x4s as my base because I'm next to the water, and I completely cover that in epoxy - no bugs, no rot - ever).
3. Put rigid foam board (1/2") on the concrete wall where it's above grade. Silicone will hold it.
4. Cut at least 1 small 2" hole in your boxbeam in an unobtrusive place. From the basement, run a tube (marine supply bilge pipe or similar) from the exterior of the house to between the stud wall & the concrete (fresh air stops mold & mildew). Place small vent screen on outside.
5. Build your stud wall about 6" off concrete if you can - never against it. Some friends of mine with large basements actually make it 2' to allow access. - Attach a good grade plastic vapor barrier on stud wall on the exterior-facing side. Use stainless staples to hold it.
6. Wire as necessary.
7. Insulate with standard batted insulation.
8. Drywall on interior.
9. Paint & finish.
10. Temperature will be stable & comfortable all year long, but ensure that you have some fresh air coming into the basement because it will be tight. Don't vent to the area between the stud wall & the concrete (keep that area isolated.

You will spend more money on it this way, but you will have the most comfortable basement around.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC