> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > jb, I have always respected your comments and your super ideas
Login | Register

jb, I have always respected your comments and your super ideas

Posted by Moderator, Steve on March 6th, 2002 04:19 PM
In reply to thoughts... by jb on March 6th, 2002 12:22 PM [Go to top of thread]

and my post was not to offend you as that is not my intention. This PT wood deal has drawn many lines in the sand if you will and I am definately on one side firmly, other are on the other side and that is fine with me.

I have dealt with PT wood for over 30 years actually cutting, sawing and getting chips in my eyes and mouth. I do as you stated take very safe measures in dealing with the remaining chips, sawdust, and excess material.

But, I have never had any problems with the stuff and states that there is not one single death, illness, or injury directly or indirectly caused by this wood. There have been some animals either sick or died because some idiot fed them the dust and saw chips.

JB, the fear here in Dallas, Texas over this is unbelievable. School districts have torn out all playground equipment and all picnic tables and all piers on city parks that are made of this material. Its a panic. People are calling in on radio talk stations stating what do I do with my old deck, I am afraid now to walk on it. Is it ok for me to cook meat on my smoker that sits on my deck, what do I do if I touch my face with my finger after touching the deck? Should I keep my pets off the decks? I am tearing down my fence since I am afraid that I might be poisoned and where do I take the material? I am feeling sick nowdays and I think its because of my deck in my yard that has been there for over 10 years?

These are all comments either on the radio or mostly in newspapers.

I think maybe you and I, most definately me, PT wood is one of the best inventions in construction in many years. Its great for wood meeting the soils and even water.

I, and my customers like the idea of the price of the material. In our area, decks are either PT, cedar, and Redwood. 95% of the decks I build are PT wood because of the cost. Synthetics here do not stand up to the heat and sun. Trex is not even advised for this area and the white vinyl stuff turns yellow.

JB, it just make me wonder why we do not do the same with creosote RR ties that I see everywhere, talk about a dangerous leaching material. The radiation from your cell phone is more dangerous than the possiblility of you becoming poisoned by a pressure treated product, only if you do not eat a 2x4.

JB, thanks and you can see my side in the line in the sand.

You take care and thanks for all your valuable advice.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC