> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Jay is right...
Login | Register

Jay is right...

Posted by jb on July 19th, 2000 12:16 PM
In reply to Countertop Painting by Anne on July 18th, 2000 12:28 PM [Go to top of thread]

Jay is right, you really can't paint kitchen counters. It isn't health safe and it would likely chip off, get dirty and or just look god-awful. Making your own new counter tops is a little too advanced for most do-it yourselfers and you need special tools and skills etc. You should either get a new counter or maybe tile over it. The best way to get a new counter made is to find someone who specializes in this. You want to find the guy who has a small shop that mostly makes counters for contractors. This way you avoid the middle man. For standard counters these guys should probably be able to quote you a "per foot" cost. This way you can compare. If you just go out and get a contractor, all he will probably do is call up this other guy and tack on a profit. Personally, I am going to tile my old ugly counter. You need to really scuff it up with sandpaper so the portland or mastic sticks and only do this if you are 100% sure that your counter is sound with no loose spots or delamination. I will use some nice edging tiles that I found that cover the whole edge and 4X4's for the main counter and carrying up the back wall.

Have fun!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC