> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Janitrol Central Air as a replacement...can I trust it?
Login | Register

Janitrol Central Air as a replacement...can I trust it?

Posted by paul on April 15th, 2000 09:59 AM

I have a 10 year old house with Lennox Furnace and central air. Fan on outside unit was noisy last year but system cooled fine. This year I went for a $60 "Spring Tune up" deal and the service man, after working for awhile and replacing a switch, informed me that my compressor was out and was seized up. This strikes me as odd since the unit was working fine last the last time I used it (October?) except for noise in the fan when the unit shut off (sounded like bearings).

Don't know how long a unit like this should last but 10 years does not seem like long enough. I could have been scammed by the serviceman but can't prove it. He also says the unit (2.5 ton) is undersized for the house and this caused it to have to work harder and thus shorten it's life.

Anyway, he is proposing complete replacement (rather than just compressor) and is highly recommending a Janitrol. Says they are the same quality as other name brands and is much cheaper. (He also happens to personally have one that he wants to sell and offered me a really cheap deal on the side).

After reading some of the other posts on this forum about Janitrol being junk, I am concerned. On the other hand I've read that it is the installation the is critical and the equipment is all pretty much comporable. I have a neighbor with Jantirol HVAC and no problems, although farily new house.

Anybody care to extend an opinion to me here? Should I go for the cheap (Janitrol) or get second opinion and go for a major name brand (another Lennox, Bryant, Carrier, etc.)?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC