> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Its your lucky day.
Login | Register

Its your lucky day.

Posted by John 2000 on March 22nd, 2000 02:35 PM
In reply to MAKING A COUNTER TOP FOR MY KITCHEN ISLAND by COLLEEN on March 22nd, 2000 12:04 PM [Go to top of thread]

"Hi", Colleen,
I'm home for about a week so I can help you with this one,.
ok, now the size of your "new " counter top will be approx 4" bigger in width and length, than your undercabinets,
take some 3/4" waterproof plywood, cut it (as I have said ) 4" bigger than your island.
then cut some more plywood 6" wide ( same size plywood 3/4") you will require 4 lentghs ( 2 x the length and 2 x the width les 12".
now screw the 4 little bits ( 6" wide) to the plywood top that is bigger than the island,
and make sure that the edges are smooth,
ok, now you should have a panel that looks as if its 1"1/2" thick by the same size as your island.
"Important" make sure that the edges are smooth,and with no bumps because you are going to put some formica on the edges, and it has to be right,
Now comes the fun and games. cut some strips of formica 1/8" wider than the edge of the top ( 1"1/2" plus 1/8" = 1"5/8", you will ( I hope ) have some contact glue, ( the man at the shop will help you with this)spred glue on the back of the strip first, put it some where out of the way, next put glue on the side(edge) of your top
when they are both finger dry ( if you put your finger on it will not stick to the glue.)now you should have done this on all four sides of the top,start with one strip at one side, at the courner then work your way along the strip, pressing to the top leave the formica about 1/16" above the surface of the top, now do this on all four sides.let the glue dry ( 1hour) then now comes the fun, plane or file off the formica that is above the top surface, try to keep the plane/file flat as possible, you can also use a sandpaper block on the edge from the top.
now on the courners take great care, you can file the bit thats overhanging ( I use a file when I do this part of the job,) always try to keep the file flat because the top sheet of formica will but meeting it at this point. ( but thats later).
so now you "should" have a plywood top that has formica around the sides and looks as if its 1"1/2 thick,now, the next step, you must have some thin laths (soft wood) about 1" x 1/2" and about 6" longer than the width of your top ( your thinking ???)I'll show you what you do with them next.
now lay the plywood top flat, with the flat surface up,( the underside should have the 6" X 3/4" strips on the edges.Cut a sheet of formica 1" larger then the top, now place it on top so you can see if theres 1/2" overhang all round.
if good, now glue both the top of the counter ( plywood) and glue the formica. leave to dry ( remember finger dry ), when the plywood top is dry ?? you can then place the strips ( soft wood) across on top of the glue,and space about every 8" to 10" apart.( dontforget to leave some overlapping the top)....
now come the games,,, place the formica on top of the laths very carefully move the formica so it is on top of the laths and in the right place with a overhang all round,now, take out the center lath and press the formica down on to the plywood top. then remove the next lath on the left the on the right, each time pressing down the formica till you come to the edges, now you will see why I said to take care with the side strips of formica,
place off the overhang or file it smooth so you dont have any sharp edges, ok now you have your counter top,'
now to fix it... screw from underneath use a screw smaller than the total thickness of the top and the timbers that you see on top of the cabinets ( to give you an idea, top=1"1/2" plus the top of the cabinet +/- 3/4" so you can use a screw 1"1/2" and screw every 18" apart.
and there you have it,
what I would do if I was you is play with a sample first just so you get the hang of it , when you feel you can do it then have a go,
and good luck, John 2000.
PS, if you have a problem give me a call.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC