> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Its the foundation settling
Login | Register

Its the foundation settling

Posted by Moderator, Steve on January 2nd, 2003 12:00 PM
In reply to Cracked bricks on new home by Stephanie Westinghouse on January 2nd, 2003 11:31 AM [Go to top of thread]

This is fairly common, at least in my region, but on this new of a home.

What is happening is that the slab foundation is settling on each end of that wall and when it say sinks a bit, the top brick is the first to break and it stairsteps down to the very bottom and of course in a lightening bolt vertical action.

The brick manu is handing you a load of fertilizer in a large wheel barrow. The builder, well, I do not know how you would replace brick that have cracked. They are in a set and running course, so how to replace brick is beyond me.

Should you buy, well, that is something that I do not feel that anyone on this board would get into. Any home will eventually do this, but I am concerned about being sooo soon.

If you go ahead, then document all actions with brick manu and builder, take pictures each quarter documenting the cracks. Sooner or later as the cracks get bigger, the inside will begin to crack along the drywall. Watch out for this also.

Good Luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC