> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Its more personal
Login | Register

Its more personal

Posted by TD on January 31st, 2001 08:03 PM
In reply to Well, I Would Say 'It Depends' ... by Jay J -Moderator on January 30th, 2001 02:56 PM [Go to top of thread]

Its a matter of "Do I let myself get pushed around by a public official".
The issue is a garage that is on the property. I sold the property, which by local ordinance requires a U&O inspection. The garage is a detached garage with a floor half concrete half dirt. The inspector required the floor to be concreted before allowing the sale. Local township ordinance requiring U&O inspection for transfer of property.
Its the 1996 BOCA Code.
Township gave no explanation of their procedure.
Spoke to lawyer back in the beginning of the process and he advised that local government isn't based on common sense and not to expect them to act logically (he was right).
I sued in district court, which cost me just $57 and learned that I needed a lawyer. The lawyer for the township spoke in Greek and the judge advised me to talk to a lawyer and dismissed my case.
1996 BOCA requires concrete garage floor only of garage is attached to a living space.
The only explanation I was given is "the general clause", which is lawyer-talk for "there is no reason". The general clause in the 1996 BOCA allows the inspector to "promulgate regulations" in special cases, or in the case of extreme climates... It doesn't give them the power to be God or to act with malice. Unfortunately this township can hold people hostage through their U&O ordinance. I will end up talking to a lawyer, but my family wants me to just drop it.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC