> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > It's Not Too Tough ...
Login | Register

It's Not Too Tough ...

Posted by Jay J on July 19th, 1999 09:28 AM
In reply to re-grouting bathroom shower tile by ian on July 17th, 1999 09:44 PM [Go to top of thread]

Of course, work in dry conditions. Buy yourself a hand-held grout tool. I suggest the NON-mechanical one since you can do more accidental damage with it than the hand-held, manual tool. Any Home Center or Plumbing Supply House has them.

Using the tool, remove at least 1/8", or more of the grout. It's not necessary to go all the way down to the 'backerboard' during the removal process. You need to go deep enough to allow the new grout to 'grip' the old grout. I suggest you use a grout that has a hardner and sealer pre-mixed into it. With 'stuff' already pre-mixed, you have enough to worry about. Make sure you follow the instruction completely. Read them first even before you open up the container. This way, while you're at the store, you can get ALL the necessary tools/supplies you need.

Other than that, just take your time and be careful not to accidentally run across the tiles. If you make haste, you're apt to make mistakes. Since you're doing this job yourself, spend some of the $$$ you're saving on good tools and mix. It just makes sense. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: There are books at the library that you can read to help with what you want to do.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC