renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > IT'S ALL A MATTER OF TASTE ...
Login | Register

IT'S ALL A MATTER OF TASTE ...

Posted by Jay J on August 31st, 2000 08:10 AM
In reply to KITCHEN CABINETS by D DEDRICK on August 30th, 2000 08:14 PM [Go to top of thread]

D,

IT'S HARD TO MAKE A RECOMMENDATION BECAUSE THERE ARE 2 'VARIABLES' IN THIS SITUATION. 1) HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO SPEND, AND 2) YOUR TASTE.

IN SHORT, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP 'EDUCATE' YOURSELF A BIT MORE IS TO GO TO THE RETAILER THAT SELLS THE PARTICLE BOARD CABINETS. ASK HIM/HER WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY SOLID-WOOD CABINETS, OR THE LIKE. THEN, GO TO THE SOLID-WOOD CABINET RETAILER AND ASK HIM/HER WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY THE PARTICLE BOARD ONES. YOU CAN GO BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN THE DIFFERENT RETAILERS AND ASK 'WHY' AND 'WHY NOT'. I CAN TELL YOU WHAT 'I' THINK BUT IT MAY NOT BE TO YOUR TASTE. BESIDES, YOU MAY NOT HAVE THE $$$ TO DO WHAT 'I' WOULD SUGGEST.

YOU'RE DOING THE 'RIGHT THING' BY EDUCATING YOURSELF. BUT TAKE A LITTLE MORE TIME AND PUT ONE RETAILER UP AGAINST THE OTHER AND SEE WHAT 'THEY SAY'. DON'T GIVE THEM ANY ASSUMPTIONS TO WORK WITH. TELL THEM YOU LIKE RETAILER 'A's CABINETS AS WELL AS RETAILER 'B's CABINETS. TELL THEM WHAT 'YOU' ARE 'LOOKING' FOR. YOU'LL HEAR QUESTIONS LIKE, "DO YOU LIKE SOLID WOOD?" OR, "WOULD YOU LIKE THE LOOK OF SOLID WOOD W/O PAYING THAT PRICE?" OR, "ARE YOUR WALLS STRONG ENOUGH TO HOLD THE 'WEIGHT' OF ALL THIS WOOD?" OR, "DO YOU WANT 'NATURAL LOOKING' CABINETS OR DO YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO PAINT THEM?" (IF YOU PAINT THEM, DON'T GET EXPENSIVE WOOD CABINETS. IT WOULD BE A WASTE OF $$$! OAK AND MAPLE AND SUCH ARE MEANT FOR STAINING.)

SO GO TO IT AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY. ONCE YOU GET THE INFO, YOU CAN COME BACK HERE AND TELL US WHAT YOU LIKE, AND DON'T LIKE, ABOUT WHAT YOU HEARD, AND MAYBE I/WE CAN 'GUIDE' YOU INTO A DECISION. FOR NOW, MY BEST TO YA AND HOPE THIS HELPS.

JAY J

PS: YOU MAY NEED TO START A NEW POST BECAUSE THIS MAY GET BURIED AWFULLY QUICK. AFTER THIS AFTERNOON, I WON'T BE BACK UNTIL TUESDAY BUT OTHERS WILL BE 'AROUND' ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC