> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > It's A Pane ...
Login | Register

It's A Pane ...

Posted by Jay J on December 20th, 1999 10:31 AM
In reply to window condensation by joe on December 20th, 1999 10:04 AM [Go to top of thread]

Yes, it's a pain ...

Just a couple of basics first (for those who are interested.) Warm air holds more moisture than cold air. (It's just a fact.) So, when warm air meets a cold surface, the moisture is 'squeezed' out (condenses) and it lays on cold surfaces. I'd first suspect the problem is just normal when it comes to single-pane windows. When I open my interior front door, the storm door immediatley clouds up in winter. (For reasons already stated.) With double-pane windows, the problem is vastly reduced. BUT, option #1 would be to see if you can lower the humidity in the house. It should be around 35-40%, give or take. If you have plants, they will add to the humidity level.

You didn't mention where the windows were. Near a stove or a kitchen sink? Next to the dryer in the basement? These types of appliances can really add to the problem of condensation. The best thing to do in these cases is to dissipate the heat and moisture quickly with fans or exhaust vents. Option #3 is double paned windows. Option #2 is a dehumidifier in the house. It's worth a thought. (I have the opposite problem; I need a humidifier.) Maybe others on the Forum have some thoughts. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC