renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > It's a matter of degree...
Login | Register

It's a matter of degree...

Posted by Dodgeman on November 26th, 2001 01:28 PM
In reply to Plumbing: Notching floor joists by Al on November 26th, 2001 11:59 AM [Go to top of thread]

I didn't see the episode your speaking of, but I'll bet Tom was speaking of plumbers that have a total disregard for the structural integrity of the house. I've seen so called "plumbers" use chain saws and axes to make way for their plumbing. Another completely cut a section out of a 30 foot floor truss.(Not on my house) As long as some care is used, and the minimum amout of structure is disturbed, or when it is disturbed, it is reinforced by sistering additional pieces or headering off, I don't see a problem. Some of the blame also lies with the rough-in crew and/or the architect. They could make sure, for instance that a key structural element doesn't fall exactly 12 inches from the finished wall where a toilet drain has to go. In general, keeping the necessary holes as small as possible, and using a little common sense goes a long way towards keeping the integrity of a structure.
Good Luck!
Dodgeman

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC