> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > It Really Is Hard Work ...
Login | Register

It Really Is Hard Work ...

Posted by Jay J on July 21st, 2000 03:09 PM
In reply to Do you start at the bottom or the top when laying shingles on a roof? by Patty on July 21st, 2000 02:36 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

I'm not trying to discourage you but you may want to get some 'muscle'. Shingle packs are very heavy, especially when you have to carry them up a ladder. I carried up 15 packs of 30-year shingles a few years ago for a 450 sq. ft. roof and the WORST part was I carried up 1 more than I thought I needed! It was HEAVIER coming down but I was glad I didn't have to carry 'just one more' up that ladder.

In any event, you need felt and you need to measure out how many 'squares' you'll need. (1 square = 100 sq. ft. of roof.) So, like me, if you have a 30' x 15' roof = 450 sq. ft, it takes 3 packs to do 1 square, ie., it takes 3 packs to do 100 sq. ft.. Thus, I needed only 14 packs but I carried up 15 (to account for 10% waste.) The reason I still had 1 extra is because I didn't figure in the area of a couple of skylights. I included that area in my calculations, that's all. No biggie. Take 450, divide by 100, then multiply by 3 and add 10% more for waste (assuming you don't have any skylights like me!) That will tell you how many 'bundles' you need.

Next, you need to figure if you need any Snow & Ice shield. It's a rubbery membrane that's usually layed on the lower edge of the roofline to help prevent ice damming in cold regions. If you have an attic, and it's unfinished, consider having your soffits vented AND a ridge vent installed. (Have a pro or someone who's familiar w/this type of work do it.) In EITHER situation, if you live in a cold region, lay one row at your eaves line.

Next, you need to chalk lines. It's too wordy for me to describe so I've included a couple of roofing links. DoItYourself Roofing Project (start with the Introduction under How To Build A Roof anyways because it would be useful to have a well-rounded background on roofing, in general, before you start ripping and nailing), and Hometime Roofing Project. There are certainly MORE WEB sites but this should get you started. Of course, if you know someone who does roofing, or is a general carpenter, buy their time to do the soffit and ridge vent work (if you decide you need it), and install the Snow & Ice shield (if you live in a cold climate region), and chalk your lines. If you don't get it right, your roof will look silly.

A few small tips: Save any 'cut tabs' for the ridge capping. Cut the backs; NOT the fronts. (Get a pack of blades for your utility knife.) Buy yourself a 'triangle'. Never use a shingle that's less than 6". (Do some math if you have to to see how small of a piece you'll end up with in a row.) READ all the material first, and then again, so you don't miss something. It's the kind of job that pays to know some things in ADVANCE of what you're doing.

I could go on and on but my fingers are getting tired. Again, based on the 'wording' of your Post, it would pay to have someone who's done a roof or 2 before guide you. Others will add more, I'm sure! My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: I will be returning on Monday morning ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC