> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > It Depends (Anyone Else) ...
Login | Register

It Depends (Anyone Else) ...

Posted by Jay J on June 27th, 2000 11:46 AM
In reply to Warranty question by Mel Contreras on June 27th, 2000 10:42 AM [Go to top of thread]

You may get a number of 'recommendations' on what to do here, but from my personal experience, here's what I can offer.

As for the sander, IF you can get ahold of an 'old' credit card stmt., in lieu of the actual receipt, that might help your cause. If whoever gave it to you has the credit card, then perhaps bringing them w/you will help too. Now, you can try to return it w/o going through what I mentioned, but it depends on the Sears you deal with and their return policy, back then, and their return policy now. Of course, you can take your chances. If you opt for the 'latter' idea, and you 'fail', then ask them what 'requirements' must you meet to take advantage of the policy. Ask if a copy of the stmt will suffice, or what. Make sure they're specific.

As for the Phillips screwdrivers, if they're Craftsman, you should be able to exchange them w/o incident. If not, ask why, and go from there. It's possible that another store may do the exchange. You may have to drive a distance to a 2nd store but you may get the exchange done there. Be sure to tell the 2nd store of the 1st store's refusal (assuming they refuse.) Maybe if you bring in 2 at a time and on different days, you won't get a 'hard time'. The warranty does state that you have 'certain rights' and so does the store. One of them might be Proof-of-Purchase (as in the case w/the sander.) That's why, as a general rule, keep your receipts whenever there's a warranty involved. And if it's not itemized, manually 'break it out' so you can refer to it/them later on.

As for the Craftsman Logo, I can't say anything about that. All I can suggest is that you ask.

I've never had to return a Craftsman power tool but I have returned a few handtools w/o incident. If you try to do too much at once, they may suspect the tools were stolen and invoke their 'rights' to ask for a receipt. Just don't try to do too much at once. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC