> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > It Can, But ...
Login | Register

It Can, But ...

Posted by Jay J on August 22nd, 2000 07:39 AM
In reply to But what if... by Janet on August 21st, 2000 05:56 PM [Go to top of thread]

... In short order, it will most likely fail.

Wallpaper is made of either solid vinyl, vinyl-coated, or natural materials. Each 'reacts' differently when a product like paint is applied to it. The latter 2 types will absorbe the moisture first, then dry out, then shrink. Now you have a new problem - You have a pretty lousy looking wall of wrinkled and warped wallpaper that's been painted over. Vinly wallpaper, on the other hand, may turn out just fine. But depending on the texture of the vinyl, you may have to put on a few top-coats to get it to look just right. Then, after time, you may find the primer and paint separating from the vinyl. And once again, you'll have a lousy looking wall.

Short-term isn't worth the time and effort. My $.02 says if you're gonna spend time to 'short term fix' the wall, then spend that time removing the wallpaper. There are a lot of posts on the Forum that talk about removing wallpaper and glue. Use your Browser's FIND feature and key in the word wallpaper and press Find/Search. Keep searching and reading until you've 'saturated yourself' with enough info to understand how to efficiently remove the wallpaper. Using the right tools and dissolving solution make the job go quick. From start to finish, if you had just 1 10' x 12' room to do, you could remove the paper and glue in under an hour. And the next day, it will be ready for priming. And the day after that, it will be ready for painting. It's not that hard - it's just a bit time consuming.

Getting back to your 'situation', I'd leave everything as is. Your paneling 'layer' is keeping the grease and such off of your plaster walls. If you remove the paneling now, in 2 years, you'll have to clean the walls before you prime and paint. Continue to take advantage of the paneling's 'protective purpose' in the 'short term', and forget about any other short term fix. It is your home but in my opinion, do the job once. I'd suspect your time is more valuable.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC