> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > It can be done, and be done correctly it will work
Login | Register

It can be done, and be done correctly it will work

Posted by Moderator, Steve on June 27th, 2002 02:51 PM
In reply to redecorating my kitchen...can I paint my refrig? by ms. doityourself on June 27th, 2002 12:27 PM [Go to top of thread]

2 of 2 people found this post helpful

but; you need to do some practicing with the paint.

I hate to always say "i have done this". But, if you actually have and it worked, then speak up.

I have painted ovens, ventahoods, and refrigerators with that over the counter appliance spray paint. It does work.

Here are the very important things to consider and practice with.

The appliance must be completed de greased. This reminds me of a project blueing shot gun barrels, the barrell must be void of all grease dirt, and grime completely.

Any grease, the paint will bead up and act like water on a ducks back.

clean with a 409 type cleaner and remove the stuff, then do a wipe down with bleach and water, use even vinegar and water also.
Then completely do a rince down and let it dry. From then on, wear latex gloves to keep your hand oils off the appliance.

Use "blue" painters tape to tape off all handles, hinges and other stuff.

Now, here is the second most important part. NOT TO HAVE RUNS WITH THE SPRAY PAINT.

You need to practice with a .99 cent spray can and make sure you can start and stop the spray on the project without causing the run marks. When it runs, then have a rag diped in mineral spirits ready to wipe that area quickly.

If you make a spray pass from one side to the other and then begin again on the other side it will work. Like a type writer if you will.

Let it dry overnight and then spray again. The second spray job will be much easier because you will be only allowing the mist to hit the surface.

Also, do not allow paint to get on the refrig gasket, you will ruin it and make it hard.

Good luck and you can do it.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC