> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Is Bruce Hardwood flooring my best solution?
Login | Register

Is Bruce Hardwood flooring my best solution?

Posted by George K on June 29th, 1999 10:52 AM

I have a tiny apartment in Brooklyn, NY. It's about 525 sf, and of that, there is old
parquet in the hallway, living/dining room and bedroom. In the elevated loft (a small,
irregular 100sf room, three steps above the rest of the rooms) there is the same parquet,
laid on a flexible, seemingly unstable base of plywood.

Since the parquet was laid directly on the concrete slab that makes up the base floor, the
parquet has a habit of popping up once it begins to get humid -- from April through
October. (It's the same in all apartments. Mine is on the 8th floor). Some glues work,
but I wonder if it's better to pull up the floor and start from scratch. I understand Pergo
would be cheaper, but a lot of what I've read suggests that if humidity is a problem now, it
will be a real killer in a cramped smallish apartment with Pergo! In addition, I've heard
mixed reviews on how it looks.

Anyway, a contractor turned me on to Bruce Hardwood's thin, glue-down flooring.
He says it will glue right down to the slab, and since it's exactly as thick as the original
parquet, the floor will be the same height as it is now, once the old parquet is removed.
That's good, because there is little clearance between the floor and doors, and it would look weird if the height of the first step to the sleeping loft differed from the other two steps.

Anyway, how will the thin Bruce Hardwood Floor hold up? Will it withstand heavy furniture and humidity better than the Pergo would? Will the finish survive? What guarantees are there that it will keep its appearance up over 10-15 years? What about in the loft, should I take up the glued down parquet from the floor up there and will the flex of the plywood affect the Bruce floor? If so, what must be done to prevent problems there?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC