> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Iron or steel
Login | Register

Iron or steel

Posted by Henry in MI on March 25th, 2000 05:17 AM
In reply to gas by fred on March 24th, 2000 10:02 PM [Go to top of thread]

Fred, I believe that the "iron" pipe is actually steel pipe manufactured to ASTM A-53. Pipe is still manufactured in "Iron Pipe Sizes" (IPS) but the nomenclature is really archaic. About the only iron pipe you might find in a house is cast iron used for DWV applications. Most building codes in the country tend to follow the American Gas Association (AGA) recommendations for allowable products.

When you pipe a water heater or many other gas appliances, put a tee in the vertical line with a horizontal nipple to run to the gas valve and another nipple and cap on the bottom of the tee. This gives a space for dirt or scale to collect so that the dirt does not get in your gas valve or clog your burner. And don't forget to check all your joints with soapy water. Bubbles will indicate a leak.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC