> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Iron in water
Login | Register

Iron in water

Posted by Mac Walker on January 12th, 2001 08:04 PM
In reply to home cheapo by bc on January 11th, 2001 11:51 PM [Go to top of thread]

I had the same issue - both dissolved (anaerobic) and rust. I had two whole-house filters in series, but still had to use a Pur filter for drinking water. Also, I had to change the filters about every two weeks.
What I did: Bought a large household filter (32,000 grain) like a water softener but filled with activated carbon. The price was $500; it was easy to install. I have had it two months, so far, so good. Still have great water pressure. It has a backflush function, but I haven't seen much rust come out its drain, so I doubt that does anything. The person who sold it to me said I should get 3-5 years' life from the media; replacement media is about $175, and easy to do.
A good water place or plumbing supply house, or local well driller should be able to advise you... some want to sell huge expensive packages. Another solution some folks use here is a standard water softener, cleaned monthly with Iron-Out (nasty chemistry though).
There are some good websites showing the various options, what they can remove, and their limitations.
Good luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC