> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > insulation install
Login | Register

insulation install

Posted by bc on January 2nd, 2001 03:49 AM
In reply to I've got this problem too! by deanna chenoweth on December 29th, 2000 11:33 AM [Go to top of thread]

Deanna, I hope your husband is half as handy as you sound like you are. Seems like we get as many posts from girls as from guys.

When you buy the insulation, buy a couple exacto knives. Like wallpaper, cutting kraft paper needs a sharp blade or it tears. Also have a pair of scissors, a couple tape measurers, and a stapler along with a couple 2by4's longer than the width of the insulation.

Have your husband on the main floor unrolling the insulation paper up. Measure it to the length you requested from the attic. He can mark the cut with a pencil, center it over a 2by4 and lay the other 2by4 on top on the line as a straight edge, then push down tight and cut along the straight edge. Then hand it up into the attic.

Lay it out and when you come to an obstruction or junction box, just use the scissors to cut around it. If you have some sheathed electrical cable running through a joist (or wall) then cut a slice in the non-paper side of the insulation with your exacto knife to the proper depth and allow the sheathed electrical cable to lay in the slice. That way you don't have to compress the insulation over or under wires(I cringe when I see insulation crammed behind sheathed electrical cable cause it is compressed for a good 2' or more before it expands back to normal). I do the same thing for walls starting at the top.

Staple the paper to the attic hole cover if that is how you get in.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC