> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Insulation: blown-in
Login | Register

Insulation: blown-in

Posted by Al on November 17th, 2001 08:59 PM

I have an approx. 2100 Sq ft., 100 year old, 1 1/2 story colonial. I'm getting ready to remodel the upstairs to the point I'm removing all the interior walls and removing the plaster from the outside walls. This home is built with studs that go from the first floor all the way to the roof. In other words, I can look down between the studs upstairs and see all the way to the downstairs floor plate. This house doesn't have insulation in the walls, and the siding does not warranty replacement which has ruled out blowing in insulation. However, with the upstairs walls gutted, my thinking is I can blow in insulation from up above, and then use crafted insulation on the upstairs walls. This would leave the areas under the downstairs windows uninsulated, but it would have to be better than nothing, right? Will this work or am I wasting my time/money on this now? I live on a big windy hill in Ohio so even with new windows/doors and the insulating I've already done the furnace runs quite a bit in the winter. If this will work, what type of blow in should I use? I've seen puffy looking fiberglas types, but when we remodeled an old house for our office the insulating company blew in something rather chunky/paperish looking. I've never worked with blow-in so any help would be appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC