> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Insulation...
Login | Register

Posted by Fred Henderson on October 1st, 2002 04:48 PM
In reply to Tyvek is not insulation... by Common Sense Guy on September 24th, 1999 09:14 AM [Go to top of thread]

I am in the process of installing a Tyvek type material (Lowes brandname) and have the following question...

What is the advantage or disadvantage of using this type material on the inside of the residence when it is applied to the existing weatherboard material from the inside. Then applying two layers of fiberglass insulation (vapor barrier to the outside of one sheet, and the second vapor barrier to the inside, and then applying a second layer of Tyvek type material under the drywall.

The rebuilt wall would be: outside brick, small gap, weatherboarding, Tyvek type material, two layers of fiberglass insulation, Tyvek type material, drywall, inside of residence.

We recently found inside termite damage on the outside walls of our home. The residence is 40 years old and has a full basement. The outside of the residence is brick

I have to apply the Tyvek type material to the inside against the weatherboard and around all the windows, vents, outlets, etc., without damaging the weatherboard material or taking down the brick outside walls.

I am just attempting to gather a bit of knowledge about the use of double layers of vapor barrier material and will definitely appreciate any input from you.

BTW, greatly enjoy all the 'projects' you put on for us to watch... Fred Henderson

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC